Frequently Asked Questions.

Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)

Q. Is Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) legal in Barbados, if so, who can legally provide VoIP?

A. Any holder in Barbados of a Full Domestic Licence, Full Mobile/International Licence or an International Licence may legally provide VoIP in Barbados. These licences state that the holder may use Switch or Packet Technology or any combination thereof, to develop their networks. VoIP uses packet technology.
Holders of the above licences can be found under Major Licence Holders on this website.
Updated: December 19, 2005

Public Licensing

Q. What are the licences presently available from the Telecommunication Unit?

A. The licences presently available are listed under Licences on the website.

Q. Normally, how many licences do I require to offer a particular service?

A. Normally for wireless services, three (3) licences are required viz. Service Provider, Network (Carrier), and Spectrum licences.

Q. Are all applications fees non-refundable?

A. All application fees are non-refundable

Q. Do licences run for one calendar year from the date of the licence?

A. All licences run for 1 year from the date of issue unless stated otherwise and are renewable annually.

Q. I offer a land mobile radiocommunications repeater service, what are the licences I require?

A. The licence required is a General Radio-Communications Station Licence and Spectrum Licence.

What are the licences required to offer a paging service to the public?

A. The licence required is a Class Licence for Paging Services and a Spectrum Licence.

How long does it take to process a Licence Application?

Generally it takes one to two days to process licence applications and issue the relevant licence but there are exceptions to this.Licence applications which require Cabinet approval such as:

  • VSAT and all Satellite Communication Licences
  • All Value Added (Individual) Licences applied for using Form TU 007

These licences will take a minimum of three (3) to four (4) weeks from application to issue of licences.

Major licences such as Mobile, Telecommunications Domestic Fixed, Domestic Fixed Wireless, Domestic Trunking Networks, Domestic Datacommunications, International Telecommunications, VoIP where applicants will need due diligence will take about three (3) to four (4) months to process.

Private Licensing

Q. I want to use the Family Radio Service (FRS) or General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) in my business, what are the licences I require? What if I want the service for my personal use? My property is situated on both sides of the carriageway; can I still offer private paging?

A. If the property is owned by same entity and it is within reasonable distance across the road, then a private paging licence can be issued.

Sellers and Dealers Individual and Class Licenses

Q. I need one CLASS licence per business entity which should be renewed every five years?


Q. My Company has several locations, does each location require an Individual Sellers and Dealers Licence?


Q. My competitor sells phones from a van on a regular basis, is his store licence applicable for the mobile sales?

A. His van is considered as an extension of his store and he can use it for occasional promotions provided that he maintains the Radiocommunications Record Book as required under the Telecommunications Act. If he uses the vans on a permanent basis, then it must be registered as a location from which he does business and a Sellers and Dealers Individual Licence, with its own Radiocommunications Record Book, is required for each mobile unit.

Q. Equipment certification listed at $20.00 per certificate. Does it mean that each installation at every customer attracts the $20 certification fee?

A. Customer Equipment
YES. Each new installation must be issued with a certificate at a cost of $20. For example, if a PABX is installed along with a number of extensions, it will be considered as one installation hence one certificate will be issued.


Q. What is a public data telecommunications network?

A. Is a network that provides data services to the public. The operator requires the three licences. Can be used in the 5GHz band or the 28 GHz band where it is knows as Local Multipoint Distribution Service (LMDS).This service can also be provided in the 3GHz band.

Q. What are the services allowed on private telecommunications network?

A. Private paging, private local or wide area network, private VSAT, private trunking, and private two-way radio.

Q. What services allowed on special purpose station?

A. Where there is no specific licence, such a licence can be issued by the Minister responsible for Telecommunications.

Q. I paid my satellite TV antenna licence five (5) years ago and made no further payments since, do I have to make any further payments or my payment 5 years ago has been considered as the payment for the licensed for life?

A. If person had paid for the year 2002 or 2003, then all he has to do is to bring in his licence and have it recorded as a life time payment. Persons who have not paid for 2002 or 2003 must pay the $500 lifetime payment

Q. I am planning to visit Barbados this year and wish to operate my HAM Radio equipment while I am on vacation in Barbados. I am a licensed operator in Canada. Do I need to be licensed in Barbados and what is the cost?

A. Yes, you do need a licence from Barbados which would be valid for 1 year on the payment of a fee of Barbados $30. You are required to present in person to our office a completed application form (TU039), a copy of your foreign Amateur licence, picture ID (usually a passport) and the fee $30 BDS. Once all the documents are verified, you will be issued with the Barbados licence in approximately 15 minutes. Special call signs are an additional $25.

Barbados signs Computer Incident Response Team (CIRT) Agreement with the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) at a meeting held at the Caribbean Telecommunications Union (CTU) in Port of Spain, Trinidad.

Chief Telecommunications Officer of Barbados, Mr Reginald Bourne (left) and the Director of ITU's Telecommunications Development Bureau, Mr Brahima Sanou (right), are congratulated by the Secretary General of the CTU, Ms Bernadette Lewis after the signing of the CIRT Agrreement.

Government Notices

Government Notice - 2019 Licences

The following types of licences are renewable in January 2019 as they will expire on December 31, 2018

Licensees have until January 30, 2019 to renew their licences.

From January 31, 2019 to March 31, 2019 these licences may be renewed but a 25% late payment fee will be payable.

 From April 01, 2019, unpaid licences may be revoked by the Minister responsible for Telecommunications:


1. Sellers and Dealers;
2. Citizen Band Operators;
3. Amateur Radio Operators;
4. Model Equipment Owners;
5. General Radio Communications;
6. Fishing Vessels and all other Ship Stations;
7. Coast Stations;

 Date: 16 November 2018


Link - Legislation Tab  at left - Computer Misuse Act, Fair Trading Act, Electronic Transaction Act, General Orders, Financial Management and Audit Rules 2011, etc.


HIPCAR Tab added at left - Model Text  for Cybercrime, e-Commerce, Freedom of Information, Licensing Regulations etc.

Update: 30 November 2012